Sunday, February 17, 2013

Madame Butterfly

Madame Butterfly was weird to me. Professor Steinhardt said that the woman was raped but it didn't look like rape. I also keep in mind that they are dolls and it might have been hard to make it look like a rape scene. I don't know but it looked like she wanted it.
I wasn't expecting a lot of things that happened in this video. I didn't expect the baby to be a fish in a bowl and then turn into a baby but I thought that was pretty awesome. I liked the fact that the bowl was supposed to be a belly and that when it broke, it symbolized a water breaking. I thought the concept was interesting, just extremely strange. Also, flying the baby and the mother as kites was creepy to me. They were being flown from their umbilical cords. That was probably the creepiest thing in the video.
I felt bad for the woman when the sailor took her baby away and gave him to that other woman. I have to keep in mind that this was an old movie because I know if this was a more modern spin, there would have been a fight. I almost wish there was because the woman seemed so weak and I didn't like it.
And last but not least, I thought the suicide was amazing. I like how she didn't just stab herself or drown herself, I like how Sapegin made her take herself apart. I've never seen anything like that and I thought it was a very interesting idea and that also made me wonder, how did he even make that scene? I know it was stop action but how was this entire movie so perfect? Sapegin is obviously very talented because most stop action videos don't look that smooth or good in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment