Sunday, February 3, 2013

First Reaction

When I first started the class, we had a substitute. Dr. Santiago was very informative and very interactive with the class. I did not know that the class was going to be able Opera. When I found that out, I was kind of weary and did not think I would like the class very much. However, the videos we watched and talked about were interesting and I enjoyed them. Santiago explained most of the Opera in depth and I learned some things about Opera that I never thought I would care about. All in all, the first class was amazing and I enjoyed it a lot.

The second class was quieter considering our teacher was slightly sick. Even though she wasn't feeling well, Dr. Steinhardt was just as passionate as Santiago. She was just quieter which I didn't mind. I liked the fact that she has us move around every hour because learning about Opera for 3 hours is pretty boring. But because we get up to move, it helps me pay attention.

In this class I expect to learn about how technology formed through art. I learned a little bit about pulley systems in Operas which is apparently a big deal. So far this class has kept me interested in a subject that I thought I would never be interested in. Throughout the semester, I expect to learn more about Aria styles and classic plays/music. I am not sure where technology will fit into this class but I hope it makes an appearance.

I am a double major in Film & Media Arts and New Media Production with a concentration in Music and I am a French minor. I am sure that this class will help me with my majors and I am excited for what is to come throughout the year.

--Alexandria Woodard

No comments:

Post a Comment